Earlier this week, we had some home improvements of the unexpected kind. On Saturday, we had a bit of a planned upgrade scheduled. We’ve lived in this house for a little over five years. It’s a great house, and we’ve definitely made it our own during our time here.

Still, one thing oddly missing from the start was any kind of decent light in the living room. For some reason the house didn’t have an installed fixture or even a setup for one in the room we probably spend the most time in. So we’ve gotten by with lamps and and a general understanding that things would always be on the dim side at night in the room we spend the most time in.

Earlier this year, we decided it was finally time to do something about that. Erin found a great light fixture and we ordered it. We have an electrician we like to work with, so the plan was to get him to install it when it came.

The light was ordered just before COVID, and arrived at the height of quarantine. So we’ve had a lovely new light fixture sitting in the basement for a few months. We finally decided to pull the trigger and get an install scheduled. It would mean having our electricians, as well as a drywall patching guy in the house. Everything was lined up, and Saturday was the day.

As with the AC technicians earlier in the week, distancing was practiced, masks were worn and precautions were taken all around. It still feels a little weird, but we are trying to adapt to living life and getting things done while still staying as safe as possible.

The crew did an amazing job, and it’s almost shocking to have actual light in the living room now.

As an added bonus, we also had this awesome new fixture installed in our master bath.

Let there be light! Of course, even though it was a bright summer day and the sun was blasting in everywhere, the kids insisted on keeping the new light on because they were so excited about it.

The installation was also fun for the kids because the living room fixture came in a nice big box they could play with.

Amelia got right to decorating it. I particularly like the dog artwork.

They spent a nice chunk of the afternoon playing and imagining thrilling adventures in their box ship. Later on, we had a nice Zoom conversation with my parents in Wisconsin, and when evening came and things cooled down a bit, Erin and I had some Italian carry out in the backyard. We let the kids have a special “snack dinner,” which meant they could eat whatever they wanted as long as they could get it themselves. Not something we do often, for obvious nutritional reasons, but a fun treat for them, and also for us because we don’t have figure out dinner.

It was a good day, and while not that busy, I was super tired at the end of it. I don’t know if anyone else out there is getting this, but it feels sometimes like the weeks are sapping more out of me than usual and by the time the weekend comes I am crashing pretty hard. It was early to bed, so I guess I’ll have to save my enjoyment of our new well lit living room for another time.